Monday, January 30, 2012

BBQ Birthday

This weekend we ate. And then we ate some more. And then we continued to eat the leftovers on Sunday and I finished everything off with a chocolate bar form Ghirardelli (judge me, it was the 4 oz LARGE baking milk chocolate bar that is way better when it's dark chocolate, but I needed something sweet on a Sunday night because let's be serious, sprinkle cookies, funfetti cake and strawberry shortcake always needs a chaser of pure chocolate).
We were celebrating one of the guys birthdays, he's from Nashville so he has a special spot in his heart for BBQ. I decided to make pulled pork and strawberry shortcake (his favorite kind is from the Bisquick mix, so that was beyond easy!).
The pulled pork turned out really well- it was a mix of a few recipes I had tried in the past, plus some helpful hints I had read about online. It's also extremely easy (as anything in a slow cooker is)... the hardest part is waiting (hence why I cooked mine on high :) ).

BBQ Birthday Pulled Pork
Feeds: 8
Hands on time: 15 minutes at the beginning, 20 minutes to shred
Cook time: 4 hours + 2 hours

6 lbs Boston Butt
2 white onions (I used one HUGE one and then half of one I had leftover)
6 cloves of garlic (peeled)
1 T ground mustard
Salt & pepper
Root beer (at least two cups, but it depends on what size crock pot you have)
2 cups homemade or store bought bbq sauce
1/2 c reserved liquid from crockpot

Cut the onion into slices.  Place half of the onion on the bottom of the crock pot. Score little bits into the meat and tuck the garlic into the meat (not too deep, I could still see mine poking out). Rub the salt, pepper and ground mustard on the meat. Place the meat on top of the onion in the crock pot. Fill the crock pot so about 2/3 of the meat is submerged.  Cook on high for four hours.  Remove the pork from the pot and shred the meat using two forks, save 1/2 c of root beer and empty the crock pot. Whisk the liquid with your BBQ sauce (I ended up using Sweet Baby Ray's and half a cup of BBQ sauce I had left over from when I went to Salt Lick (outside of Austin)). Put the pork back in the crock pot and toss with the sauce. Cook on low for about two hours (loved taste testing).
Serve on a roll (with or without coleslaw) and a pale ale (I personally love Daisy Cutter by Half Acre).

No comments:

Post a Comment